Monday, March 12, 2012

contractions?

At 10 weeks I started having braxton hicks contractions, especially when I worked. I was a bit concerned about how early this was but also know that they say a twin belly is about six weeks ahead in size than a single belly so I was really about 16 weeks in size at that point which is when I started having them in my last pregnancy so I guess it's not so surprising. But I was still concerned so I told my doc and she told me to wear a maternity support belt every time I work. This seemed to help but then last wednesday when I was right at the 12 week mark, I started to get painful contractions in the afternoon at work. They hurt from front to back and had a pulling pressure to them. When I got home on Wednesday, I was truly worried because they wouldn't stop no matter how much water I drank or how much I rested. By Thursday they were still coming on and off and I called my doc and told her that they feel exactly like the contractions I had when I delivered Brynn which are basically just less intense because the uterus isn't as big with a full term baby, but they otherwise have the same basic feeling to them.
She told me that it was probably just stretching because I had just had an ultrasound on monday (for spotting) and my cervix was long and closed so she didn't think anything could've changed. I accepted this answer but they continued throughout the day and by night it hurt to move. I was laying on the couch almost in tears (mainly because of fear). I contemplated going to the hospital but decided to wait it out and by about 10pm they were pretty much gone.
Friday I go to work and do ok until about 1030am and boom I start having a painful one. I sit down and they go away a little, but not completely. I called my doc to tell her I want to make an appt for next week because I feel that waiting until the end of the month is too long and although I had an US on monday, I also wasn't having these pains on monday and I wanted to make sure everything was ok.
She called me back and wanted to see me that day. Of course she didn't want me to come in when I called on thursday my day off, but now that I'm at work, she would like me to come in... I was a little annoyed about this.
So I had an US and just as she thought my cervix had not changed at all. She even put pressure on my belly to see if it would funnel and it did not. This was a relief! She said that I probably am having contractions because my belly is growing at such a fast pace so all of my muscles are probably spasming and cramping but that at this point it's just an irritable uterus and isn't making cervical changes, so I just need to take it easy as much as I can but no major restrictions are necessary (work). So, I'll just continue to wear my belt and try not to worry about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment