Monday, June 18, 2012

L&D take three

So on Thursday at 26 weeks, I started having some low down cramping that was a mix between menstrual cramps and bladder spasms. With the UTI I had supposedly just had a few weeks earlier, I called my OB office and asked if I could come in to test my urine just to make sure I didn't have a UTI and we could catch it early.
Instead of letting me do this, they decided to send me straight over to L&D because of my short cervix. I guess I understand but I was slightly frustrated because their office was still open and right next door and the hospital is way more expensive. Better safe than sorry I guess.
I had contractions showing up on the monitor every 5 minutes or so but they weren't painful, just my usual crampy tight BH. My cervix was closed thank GOD!
But they didn't like the way the monitor looked for 26 weeks, so they kept me for a few hours. My initial urine dip came up with only trace leukocytes (white blood cells that show infection). My nurse wasn't even gonna send it to the lab because she said trace is pretty much the same as a negative. But then she decided to send it last minute just to cover her bases.
The lab simply has a positive or negative result so of course it was positive.
The on call OB came in and said that although it was positive, she read my last lab report and the UTI they told me I had and gave me abx for ended up being a contaminate so I never even had a UTI at all but no one ever bothered to tell me. No wonder I didn't have any symptoms.
The OB decided to give me fluids, a muscle relaxer and IV abx "just in case" to stop my contractions. What did the trick was the muscle relaxer. As soon as I got a little sleepy, they slowed down quite a bit. She gave me a script for oral abx as well but I'm waiting to fill it until my culture comes back. I have no other UTI symptoms other than an irritable uterus and since the dip was only trace and my last one was a contaminate, I don't want to pump myself full of abx I don't need.

No comments:

Post a Comment