Monday, June 18, 2012

modified bedrest

Last weekend at about 25 and a half weeks, I started having a lot of pressure in my butt and "down there" when I would stand up as well as an increase in mucus (sorry TMI). I went to work Monday and was so so uncomfortable with the pressure and the right side of my pubic bone felt like it was being stabbed.
When I got of work at 3:30 I called my OB to see if I could get in to check my cervix that week. I wasn't scheduled until the following week but felt I should maybe just see what the pressure was about.
She decided to bump up my appt for that Tuesday.
I went in and they did an abdominal US first and my cervix appeared short, so she sent me to empty my bladder so she could do a transvaginal US and get a really accurate view. And it was in fact short. They like it above 2.5 up until 32 weeks. After 32 weeks it's ok if it shortens. Up until this appt, I had been VERY long measuring from 4-6cm and my doctor had joked that my cervix was never going to soften and she was going to have to force these babies out.
Well last week, it had gone down to 2.4
My OB called the perinatologist to get his input and this is what was decided:
I have a 40% chance of going into labor before 35 weeks
I can no longer work
I have to be on modified bed rest. I can still move around a bit, shower and go places as long as it's not more than 30 min in the car and it's to a restaurant or house where I can immediately find a place to sit and stay there. No cooking, cleaning, shopping, lifting etc..
They did another Fetal fibronectin to see if labor was coming soon. It was negative!
Steroids were discussed. She decided that with the negative FFN, that she did not want to give me a shot at 26 weeks. She said that the effectiveness is not as good and doesn't last as long than if it's given after 28 weeks. So, she plans to give me a dose at 28 weeks. She said that the steroids can make blood sugar very hard to control so with GD, she wants to avoid excessive doses unless necessary.
STAY PUT BABIES!!
My first goal is 32 weeks and after that every week is icing on the cake.
My next goal is 35 weeks
and my BEST goal is 37 weeks. I would prefer they have no NICU time and are never taken from my room!!

No comments:

Post a Comment