Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The last number

After I had the spotting, I had my HCG drawn and had calculated that it should be about 33,000 if it doubled every 48 hours from the previous draw a week earlier of 2820.
The doc called last Wed and my level was 21,000. She was all "looks great!" And I was all "that's too low!!" I told her what I had calculated and she told me that when it gets up this high, it only doubles every 3-4 days instead of every 2. But, being the pessimistic worrier that I am, I didn't believe her. I thought she was just trying to give me hope by saying that SOMETIMES this is the case. I got of the phone and cried and cried. I was sure I was having a miscarriage. The baby was no longer growing at a rapid pace, and that was it.
I wished that I had not had my level drawn this time. It was my idea and optional. My doc didn't think it was totally necessary and I debated whether or not to do it because I knew if it did not climb exactly like I had calculated, I was going to make myself crazy. I wish the nurse would've warned me about the slowing numbers ahead of time.
But, as I started talking to other people and looking things up on line, I found lots of information supporting this. After 6,000 it does slow down to every 3-4 days. Why didn't I know this? I thought I was up to date on all this pregnancy stuff.
This did relieve me some, but I still wouldn't feel satisfied until I saw a strong heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment