Thursday, May 10, 2012

nevermind, I FAILED

So after my moment of joy, another nurse called me a few days after I was told I passed my glucose test to tell me that I had actually FAILED. She said that while the cutoff is normally 140, Dr Grounds actually wanted me to be below 130. What?! ugh.
Because I have a history and it was borderline, she had me take the horrible three hour test. BOOOO
It actually wasn't AS bad this time. With Corynn it was at labcorp office and all the had was room temperature lemon lime flavor and it was really the nastiest thing I've ever put in my mouth!
This time it was at my OB office and they had cold fruit punch flavor AND I took a straw to drink it out of and it was a smaller volume that was just more concentrated which is better I think!
I still felt super nauseous and could tell that my glucose was high because I felt horrible. Headache, tight jaw, warm tingly face, light headed.
And sure enough, I failed.
They draw 4 samples: a fasting, 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour post drinking the glucola. You can fail one number but if you fail two, you are considered diabetic.
I really didn't fail by much though compared to my test with Corynn. I was borderline this time.
Fasting was 85 and needs to be below 99 = PASS
1 hour was 159 and needs to be below 170 = PASS
2 hour was 173 and needs to be below 150 = FAIL
3 hour was 143 and needs to be below 140 = BARELY FAIL
So, I have to start the diet, but I have some reservations. Twins have more trouble gaining weight because they are sharing everything I eat with their sibling. I always lose weight and have trouble getting enough calories on this diet. I already wonder if doing the diet early messed up Brynns cord because whartons jelly is made mostly of sugar and she had none.
Twins can also be born early and and everything I've read says that because twins don't always get the full third trimester to gain weight, that it's important to eat as much as possible in the first two so they can gain and have a better chance if they arrive early.
The diet is normally not even tested for or started until 28 weeks which is when they would normally start to pack on fat. Right now they are scrawny little things and I don't really think them getting big is a real concern at 21 weeks.
I just don't want to deprive them.
So, I'm meeting with the nutritionist today and want to tell her my concerns and see what she thinks. I just know that I'm starving all the time and the low carb diet is difficult to find snacks that I can eat whenever I want that won't make me gag after I've eaten 20 of them (nuts, eggs, meat etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment